Re: NT5 slips to summer 99, according to the Economist

Tom Whore (tomwhore@inetarena.com)
Thu, 2 Jul 1998 17:48:16 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 2 Jul 1998, Rohit Khare wrote:

> But "such tinkering is not expected to offset" jack squat. After all,
> Taligent and OpenStep are dead; MacOS X will be selling into an
> installed base even smaller than Linux's; and Linux, for that matter,
> may be industrial-strength, multiplatform, and easy to install, but it
> still won't deliever an iota of the "Windows user experience" because
> weekend warriors aren't going to be hackig massive new information
> management strategies for document repositories, information
> visualization, or massively optimized runtimes and wire protocols for
> DO (apologies to IronDoc, btw).

Well put Rohsan. And as far as the eye can see thats pretty much going to
be the markt o set the course to for most folks.

But we all know this stream doesnt settle into mudy banks, well not often.
We all know SOMEONE is going to come along and put a socratic thorn up
bill gates sphincter. But who? anyone of the currnt crop of whinners and
litigating nambypamby loosers? God I hope not. Maybe some new upstart
still posting to usenet with there real name? More likely, but the time
frame will be at least another dev of four years. What about an inside
coup, a innercricle MS overthrough that will make Mexicos politcs look
like the Marquis of Queensberry fighting?

I have no doubts something will crawl from the towards redmond to topple
it. I just hope its entertaining and leaves us with more toys to play
with. After all, thats how we make our living, playing with the toys.