RE: Be on Intel

CobraBoy! (tbyars@earthlink.net)
Wed, 30 Jul 1997 14:17:59 -0700

Ron Resnick around 2:04 PM -0700 on 7/30/97, brainstormed and came up with
this:

> At 01:11 PM 7/30/97 -0700, Jim Whitehead wrote:

> >> remember CobraBoy! predicts PPC production will be a memory by 2k.
> >
> >Could be, but this will be directly related to whether my prediction of the
>
> I'm with Jim. Don't forget that the PPC is the chip in IBM's RS/6000 _and_
> AS/400 (betcha didn't know that!).
>
> Sure, eventually these too may pass from our Earth, but they're
> going nowhere by the year 2000, and will continue to have PPCs in them
> at that date and years beyond. All of Apple related PPC manufacturing
> can disappear (including Be),
> and yet the embedded market and IBM server platforms
> can keep the chip alive far beyond. There is much more to PPC than
> Apple&friends, Tim.

Again I disagree completely. When IBM can get (WTF is this new expression,
legacy apps? (Win-32 in other words)) running on it's RS/AS series with
Intel's new RISC chip for prices cheaper than Moto PPC's what is the reason
to stick with Moto? And with Apple dropping out the per chip manufacturing
cost will skyrocket. Remember IBM/Apple/Moto fucked Jobs and NeXT. And
Steve don't forget...

I'll go further, by the end of 88 NT will be so pervasive IBM will have to
offer it on it's RS line to survive the line. (assuming they don't already)
By 2K AS will have to run NT to survive.

Tim

-

... at least you can drive something fast, arm your-
self with powerful tools, and look good doing it.
- Preview Release of the Be Operating System

<> tbyars@earthlink.net <>