Re: Outpost, egreetings, sparks, iprint, and why os8 sucks

Kragen Sitaker (kragen@pobox.com)
Sat, 6 Feb 1999 22:14:06 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 5 Feb 1999, Rohit Khare wrote:
> On the last point, it's because I had this massive and insightful post on
> the state of the
> direct-relationship-marketing-mediated-by-funky-graphic-design industry
> that Eudora Pro ate because MacOS8 just crashed it out because it *still*
> can't protect memory allocation. And spare me the hosannas for 8.6, Tim --
> I'll see it when I believe it...

More than once, I've been quite happy I was using VIM to edit my files
on Windows NT machines when they crashed, because it logs every line or
two you type to a file.

> OutPost Network is a series of brands now owned by infospace loosely
> centered around personalized contact: v-postcards, real cards, v-pages,
> prank mail, humor books, getting off junk mail lists, requesting college
> catalogs, a whole slew of such services. I bought a $4 card from them and
> had a very pleasant, professional, and quick buying experience.
> http://outpost.infospace.com

Getting off junk mail lists? Does this mean they do spam, or sell
"list cleaning" services to spammers? Or do they print and mail a
request to the Direct Marketing Association?

> about other garage violations -- including an infamously abusive fellow
> who's got a washer/dryer/gym in there instead of a car...

What exactly is wrong with that?

> Canon Computer Systems is shipping a seven-color ink jet printer priced
> under $450 and aimed at home users and small businesses that need to
> generate images comparable to 35mm photos in quality.

Wow. Does this mean we can print Pantone colors? :)

Computers are the tools of the devil. It is as simple as that. There is no
monotheism strong enough that it cannot be shaken by Unix or any Microsoft
product. The devil is real. He lives inside C programs. -- philg@mit.edu