Re: Legal Schmeeegal-or-Chapter Two, I am tied to the hull

Kragen Sitaker (kragen@pobox.com)
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 15:27:12 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 29 Jan 1999, Tom Whore wrote:
> For right now im going to go along as I have for the last 9 days. Untill I
> get things clearly outlined from the RIAA and Harry Fox Agency I am hard
> pressed to pay dime one to anyone.

Perhaps you could play music licensed from the others.

www.ram.org

> if you
> are such folk. Also, if you are a ASCAP/BMI/YAKFART memeber, what do I
> need to do to obtain permission from you directly to play your works.

May not be an option; x can't sue y for copyright infringement unless x
owns the copyright. which means musicians sign their copyright over to
big collectives like ASCAP so ASCAP can sue people.

> This also gets a process going in my head that should be in motion anyway,
> and thats me getting off my geek distracted butt and start making more of
> my own music/spoken word/sound mixings.

Do it. And make them available for other people to play too.

Computers are the tools of the devil. It is as simple as that. There is no
monotheism strong enough that it cannot be shaken by Unix or any Microsoft
product. The devil is real. He lives inside C programs. -- philg@mit.edu