RE: See if you can get this....

Tim Byars (tbyars@earthlink.net)
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 10:54:03 -0800

At 10:28 AM -0800 1/29/99, Jim Whitehead put forth the following:

Covered already on the Voxers.

At 02:46 PM 1/28/99 -0500, you wrote:
>What if he were to say that all he is doing is broadcasting to friends. If
>he were to change his "radio format" to make it seem that way, would it
>make dif? At the least, he should dump the IRC channel or rename it to
>something else.

It still has to be licensed. If he's not charging a subscription fee for it
&/or there's no revenue stream involved, different licenses apply. But it
all has to be licensed. And more people have their fingers in this pie than
in the radio broadcasting pie. Somebody with enough money is likely to
fight that in court, but it's 50/50 that they'll lose.

tom - the $250 minimum looks right for you, but don't forget you also have
to license with BMI. And look at the DiMA and Harry Fox Agency websites;
they also have some jurisdiction. DiMA is the digital broadcasting
consortium that will attempt to hammer out a deal with RIAA that will work
for big webcasters and likely leave small webcasters shut out in the cold.
Harry Fox Agency is the company that admins mechanical rights and will be
asking you for outrageous things like a fee for copying the music from
uncompressed form to compressed form and then another fee when you copy it
from your HD to RAM and then another fee when it gets copied from your RAM
to a relay server's RAM (I'm not joking).

and Q - the loopholes that let broadcasters get away without paying fees on
non-profit stations appear to have been closed (at least for webcasting) by
the copyright protection act (see mp3.com for links) -- that was my read on
it when I went through all the legislation & licenses & stuff (but it has
momentarily been flushed from my head by other matters).

~~~

--

If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before. ...Steven Wright

<>tbyars@earthlink.net<>