RE: Student Patent Policy at Caltech and UC

Joe Touch (touch@ISI.EDU)
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 15:05:22 -0800 (PST)

> From ejw@ics.uci.edu Tue Jan 12 14:31:37 1999
> MMDF-Warning: Parse error in original version of preceding line at paris.ics.uci.edu
> From: Jim Whitehead <ejw@ics.uci.edu>
> To: Joe Touch <touch@ISI.EDU>, FoRK@xent.ics.uci.edu, rohit@uci.edu
> MMDF-Warning: Parse error in original version of preceding line at paris.ics.uci.edu
> Subject: RE: Student Patent Policy at Caltech and UC
> Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 14:28:03 -0800
>
> I may not have explained the problem to Rohit correctly. The problem I'm
> facing is how to transition code that was written by students as part of a
> software engineering project course. The project was a required part of the
> course, and was graded. The students did not receive any funding, federal
> or otherwise, to perform this work. I provided some guidance for the
> project, and I do receive funding off a DARPA grant (I think -- this varies
> from month to month, depending on which pot of money my advisor uses to fund
> me). But, I have not written any code.
>
> So, the question I had was whether I need the student's permission to assign
> the copyright on the code to U.C. Regents, since my understanding is they
> own the IPR for classwork. Rohit's research seems to imply that, yes, I do.

I would assume that ownership of code written by students as
part of a course was owned by the University, unless, as others
have pointed out, the Univ. confers that right back to the student
explicitly.

Joe