RE: Student Patent Policy at Caltech and UC

Jim Whitehead (ejw@ICS.uci.edu)
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 14:28:03 -0800

I may not have explained the problem to Rohit correctly. The problem I'm
facing is how to transition code that was written by students as part of a
software engineering project course. The project was a required part of the
course, and was graded. The students did not receive any funding, federal
or otherwise, to perform this work. I provided some guidance for the
project, and I do receive funding off a DARPA grant (I think -- this varies
from month to month, depending on which pot of money my advisor uses to fund
me). But, I have not written any code.

So, the question I had was whether I need the student's permission to assign
the copyright on the code to U.C. Regents, since my understanding is they
own the IPR for classwork. Rohit's research seems to imply that, yes, I do.

- Jim