Re: people, places, things, and ideas

Tom Whore (tomwhore@inetarena.com)
Thu, 7 Jan 1999 19:04:46 -0800 (PST)

A place to look at how we are dealing with Dead Media is the Dead Media
Project at http://www.islandnet.com/~ianc/dm/dm.html

On Thu, 7 Jan 1999, Kragen wrote:

> Suppose you have a hard disk instead of a magtape, and the hard disk's
> control mechanisms are kaput. Then, in order to read this 30-year-old
> text file (in 2028, say), you must figure out the following:

First off, Id send it to OnTrak:)-

> Once you get through all of these, it should probably take a few lines
> of Perl.

I like your thinking, perl being around in 2028, ya know it is something
to shoot for.

> I suspect you are correct -- and even if you're not, it should be pretty
> easy to understand HTML even without a Web browser.

Take away the tags and you can usualy print out the remainder for a quick
read in the reading room.

And im sure that Win28 will have something to read them.

(a side note---Up until IIS4.0 MS included a Gopher server with its bundle
of internet services as a defualt.)