Re: The Millennium Conundrum.

Robert S. Thau (rst@ai.mit.edu)
Thu, 7 Jan 1999 18:24:54 -0500 (EST)

I'm not a. real doofus writes:
> My main complaint with the purists is that they don't insist that
> the decade of the '90s won't end until January 1, 2001 also. They
> can't have it both ways...

And another thing --- in the Roman Republic, where our calendar
originated, the year was considered to begin in March; the shift
explains why SEPTember, OCTober, NOVember, and DECember are the ninth,
tenth, eleventh, and twelfth months of our year, and not (as the names
would indicate) the seventh, eighth, ninth, and tenth.

So everyone planning to celebrate the beginning of the millenium on
January first of *any* year is wrong. Ha!

That is, if you want to be a purist.

rst