Re: And a spin from teh left and a spin from teh right

Kragen Sitaker (kragen@pobox.com)
Thu, 7 Jan 1999 16:29:44 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 7 Jan 1999, Tom Whore wrote:
> Although many believe that Microsoft and Apple began working together as a
> result of the August 1997 agreement, the relationship actually extends all
> the way back to 1977, when Microsoft licensed the 6502 Basic Interpreter
> to Apple.

Using Apple's BASIC interpreter was always very different from using
TRS-80 BASIC or MBASIC for CP/M, HDOS, or the built-in BASIC for the
IBM PC -- all of which were very similar to one another.

Also, I know Apple had a BASIC interpreter before 1977.

Are you certain of your fact here?

> Operating System 7, and in 1992, Excel 4.0 became the first application to
> support AppleScript programming technology.

"programming technology"? Eww. Does that mean that I'm using chair
technology when I sit down, and Venetian blind technology when I close
the blinds?

(Sorry for the potshot. This "technology" buzzword thing is really
irritating my linguistic hemorrhoids.)

[around 1998-12-23], it is amazing to watch fear and loathing and greed at
play with the more speculative Internet stocks.  To call this a tulip
craze would be a vast understatement. -- Adam Rifkin, <adam@cs.caltech.edu>