Re: [Seventh Heaven] Who Killed Gopher?

I'm not a real doofus, but I play one at a national laboratory (baisley@fnal.gov)
Thu, 07 Jan 1999 09:04:16 -0600

Rohit Khare wrote:

> * 'core' as in "legitimate use of the net" -- supporting the formal uses of
> the Internet as a cooperative computing platform rather than exploiting
> it for 'frivolous' human communication.

You're really opening a can of skeptical worms here. I'll have to be rather
unexpansive in my comments as I'm in a rush today, but this is too compelling
a troll to ignore. I can only appeal to Hayek's _Road To Serfdom_, wherein he
decries (among many other things) higher taxes, because the decrease in
marginal disposable income directly affects what people are most interested in
-- their families, hobbies, charitable interests, et cetera, no matter how
exalted or trivial. And as Isaiah Berlin points out, these things are
incommensurable -- I cannot judge how important or otherwise, someone else's
interests are. IMing is the sincerest form of internetting.

Cheers,
Wayne

"There's no accounting for taste." My mother-in-law, former real-estate agent