Re: Cringely on Compaq/DEC and Netscape

Robert S. Thau (rst@ai.mit.edu)
Mon, 2 Feb 1998 21:48:48 -0500 (EST)

Gregory Alan Bolcer writes:

> What this tells me is that I should sell my
> SGI stock and quick. Half their business is
> embedded chip products, and secondly, a shooting
> war between Compaq and Sun is going to squeeze
> out the less competitive.

A little more fuel for this particular fire may be found at

http://www.theregister.co.uk/66_40.htm

which suggests that MIPS is losing a hefty chunk of non-embedded
placements at Tandem after the Compaq buy-out, in favor of more
"industry standard" processors. (Apparently Alpha is "industry
standard enough that they aren't planning to phase *it* out... yet).

(I found this on slashdot.org, btw... I've known about that site for
less than a week and I'm already wondering how I ever got along
without it).

rst