FoRK classic: Rob uses logic to win.

I Find Karma (adam@cs.caltech.edu)
Sun, 1 Feb 1998 01:34:49 -0800

ravine@alumni.caltech.edu (Laura D. Ravine) writes:
> My sister died of pneumonia [...] wasting away [...] for years
> [...] brain damage [...] coronary [...] eating disorders.
> So, what's the cause of death?

You just said it was pneumonia. Trying to establish some sort of
guilt by juxtaposition of events separated by "years" is very
disingenuous.

> I feel compelled to point out Rob's dearth of sensitivity in following up
> a thread including my sister's story with a "feminists are lying" post.
> Real smooth, Rob.

Surely we are searching for some flavor of truth here, not just
engaging in idle rhetoric. We are 'techers after all.
Sensitivity or lack thereof does not change facts.
Your ad hominem attack does not advance our debate one iota.

If your side of the argument really requires denying statistics
gathered by the Center for Disease Control, then I'm afraid I have no
interest in continuing a discussion with you.

> Note, however, that if you throw out the lowest and the highest weight,
> you get an average of 117.

So what? If you throw out actress Winona Ryder and porn star Teri
Weigel, it goes up above 123. I purposely did not throw out any data
since that carries the possibility of not doing so objectively.

> And you have to admit that Ms. Smith is an exception.

Sure. So is Kate Moss. I even took the lower of the two weights
given for Anna Nicole Smith.

Bye,
Rob.
.-. robert@vlsi.cs.caltech.edu .-.