Re: CacheFlow

CobraBoy (tbyars@earthlink.net)
Fri, 23 Jan 1998 19:14:00 -0800

At 5:34 PM -0800 1/23/98, Rohit Khare wrote:

> $40k box with honkin' disks acts as a serious web cache, with active
> prefetching and an embedded OS tuned for the task:
>
> http://www.cacheflow.com/

Umm.. to quote a friend of mine, "I better get a damn good blow job for
that price."

I would really like to see a real world shoot out between a
P-Pro/BSDI/Squid/Apache rig and one of these $40K gizmo's.

http://squid.nlanr.net/Squid/

> Squid offers high performance proxy caching for
> Web clients, It supports FTP, Gopher, and HTTP
> requests. The cache software, available only in
> source, is more than an order of magnitude faster
> than the CERN httpd and other popular Internet
> caches, because it never needs to fork (except for
> FTP), is implemented with non-blocking I/O,
> keeps meta data and hot objects in VM, caches
> DNS lookups. Squid caches can be arranged
> hierarchically for an improvement in response
> times and a reduction in bandwith usage. Squid
> runs on all popular Unix platforms

Tim

--

I got up feeling so down, I got off being sold out I've keep the movie rolling, But the story's getting old now I just looked in the mirror, Things aren't looking so good I'm looking California, and feeling Minnesota. <> tbyars@earthlink.net <>