Re: Gelernter: Only the crazies get doctorates...

Seth Golub (seth@cs.wustl.edu)
Thu, 15 Jan 1998 19:44:45 -0800

Rohit Khare <rohit@bordeaux.ics.uci.edu> writes:

> I don't believe (naivete alert! naivete alert!) 97% of the
> population should need higher education to get 'normal' jobs

No, but they also need to vote for public officers and policies.

I'd prefer to make my own decisions, but if I must yield them, I'd
rather yield them to a public that's been trained in logic and
critical thinking. Of course, I don't believe that higher education
does a good job of that, but gosh, wouldn't it be nice if it did?

More to the point, wouldn't it be nice if people pursued higher
education in order to learn skills like critical analysis, rather than
simply to get a job eligibility sticker to put on their resumes?