Re: Typical page counts

Keith Dawson (dawson@world.std.com)
Tue, 13 Jan 1998 19:58:51 -0500

At 6:04 PM -0500 1/13/98, Dan Kohn wrote:
>What are the page counts (pages served per month) of a typical web site?
>How about Yahoo? How do I find this info? I couldn't get anywhere with
>Alta Vista searches.

Define "typical." TBTF gets ~18K hits/month (varies from 13K to 23K
on no predictable pattern), 4K - 7K page views, 700 - 2300 unique
non-robotic visitors (estimate). Tiny as this is, I would guess it's
in the top 10% of Web sites, considering the vast numbers of home
pages that get a few hits per month, maybe.

Distribution of hits among Web sites goes like 1/x**2, at least,
perhaps 1/x**4. A tiny number of sites exceed 100M hits per day;
a vast number fall below 1 per day.

The 1-2-3 sites are Yahoo, Netscape, Microsoft for the last n
months.

If you can spend money to get a real answers to the question, with
demographics, visit http://www.relevantknowledge.com/ . Otherwise
you might try posting a query in the chat area of the Webmasters
Guild (recently merged with Association of Internet Professionals,
http://www.association.org/, but still maintaining
http://www.webmaster.org/ the last time I looked).

Keith Dawson dawson@world.std.com
Layer of ash separates morning and evening milk.