Re: Service Request Number: 1-1O60I (fwd)

From: Jesse (jesse@fsck.com)
Date: Fri Mar 31 2000 - 08:27:07 PST

I believe I've actually heard their rationalization for it.
They used to use all numeric identifiers. Then their volume spiked
to the point where another digit (NSI100K?) would soon become necessary.
Apparently some peoples' scripts depended on there only being N digits in that
section of an NSI tacking number. And lo, the monstrosity was born...

jesse

--
jesse reed vincent -- jrvincent@wesleyan.edu -- jesse@fsck.com
pgp keyprint:  50 41 9C 03 D0 BC BC C8 2C B9 77 26 6F E1 EB 91