Re: New uses for LEDs...

From: Adam L. Beberg (beberg@mithral.com)
Date: Wed Mar 29 2000 - 08:53:34 PST

On Wed, 29 Mar 2000, Greg Bolcer wrote:

> Wow--old bits. I think this came out about October, 1998. I wonder
> what the startribune is doing recirculating old articles. A quick
> search on xent.com for the original FoRK post turned up zero results
> as usual (so maybe it's excusable), but a general Internet search
> returned the following story at the time along with a nifty picture
> of all the colors.

Well, I didn't think the existance of the colors was new. When I was in
high school 10 years ago blue was cheap enough for my chem teacher to
have one.

The news for the trib is "Why are stoplights around the area suddenly
burning holes in my retenas and making me see spots" - which is what
happens. Yes, stoplights can be _too_ bright. If you're coming to MN,
bring some sunglasses for night driving.

> > ... even a red LED is green ...

hehehe, I ment the earth friendly green *chuckles*

> What the world really needs is a LED that you can change
> on demand. I was impressed with my SGI O2 because the LED on the
> front changed from bright green to bright amber depending on the
> state of the computer. It was just a trick with two lights, though.

IANAP (I am not a physicist) but wouldn't that be really hard to do? But
they make full color RGB-LED powered billboards and things in a
non-blinding setting.

And yes, I took the O2 apart to see how that worked too ;)

- Adam L. Beberg
  The Cosm Project - http://cosm.mithral.com/
  beberg@mithral.com - http://www.iit.edu/~beberg/