Re: Fwd: Napster hack allows free distribution of software, movies

From: Eugene Leitl (eugene.leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de)
Date: Wed Mar 22 2000 - 15:10:01 PST

Adam L. Beberg writes:

> > Of course, then you could go meta-evil on me and build the the
> > community of ****ster communities.
>
> That would require something, anonymous, portable, highly decentralized,
> with an open API... Hmmmm... Nah, I already have plans for tommorow...
> *grin*

http://freenet.sourceforge.net/

What is Freenet?
Freenet is a peer-to-peer network designed to allow the distribution
of information over the Internet in an efficient manner, without fear
of censorship. Freenet is completely decentralized, meaning that there
is no person, computer, or organisation in control of Freenet or
essential to its operation. This means that Freenet cannot be attacked
like centralized peer-to-peer systems such as Napster. Freenet also
employs intelligent routing and caching meaning that it learns to
route requests more efficiently, automatically mirrors popular data,
makes network flooding almost impossible, and moves data to where it
is in greatest demand. All of this makes it much more efficient and
scalable than systems such as Gnutella. To become a part of Freenet
all you need is a computer with an Internet connection and the
capability to run a Freenet server. We are currently developing a Java
server which we have been testing over the past few weeks, but which
is not yet release quality. You can download a snapshot of the latest
code from the menu on the left.