Re: lisp & scheme

From: Robert S. Thau (rst@ai.mit.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 20 2000 - 14:27:39 PST

I'm not a. real doofus writes:
> One of the books I own but never got around to grokking is Guy
> Steele's Common LISP, Digital Press, ) 1984. ISBN is/was
> 0-932376-41-X. Who knows if it's still available (outside of
> abebooks.com). According to the intro, "Common LISP is a new
> dialect of LISP, a successor to MACLISP, influenced strongly by
> ZETALISP and also to some extent by SCHEME and INTERLISP." The
> SCHEME mention has a reference to the paper "Steele, Guy Lewis Jr.,
> and Sussman, Gerald Jay. The Revised Report on SCHEME: A Dialect
> of LISP. AI Memo 452, MIT Artificial Intelligence Lab. (Cambridge
> Mass, Jan. 1978)".

This was the first concrete product of the Common Lisp committee work
(not counting a long series of amusingly-named early drafts); it took
a few years for full implementations of Common Lisp as described in
that book to be the norm, and by that time, AI winter had set in.

There is a second edition, reflecting much further committee work
(e.g., a full chapter on an elaborate mechanism for pretty-printing
list structure) dated 1990; the second edition is still in press.

rst