RE: lisp & scheme

From: Mark Day (mday@sightpath.com)
Date: Mon Mar 20 2000 - 08:34:03 PST

I second the recommendation of Abelson and Sussman as a textbook.

I'm also fond of The Little Schemer by Friedman and Felleisen.
Mit Press; ISBN: 0262560992

It looks really simple-minded but it gets fairly deep before it's done (can
you say "Y-combinator?" I knew you could ;-)). Actually I have an earlier
edition, The Little Lisper, but I doubt the book has changed all that much.
It covered Scheme even with the earlier title.

Both books are less about Scheme per se than they are about the nature of
computation, which I consider to be a virtue. SML has interesting features
as a language but I think it's much less flexible as a basis for exploring
what computation is or could be.

--Mark