lisp & scheme

From: John Klassa (klassa@cisco.com)
Date: Mon Mar 20 2000 - 07:24:38 PST

Folks,

I've established a goal for myself, for the next few months, to learn
another programming language. I stopped learning new languages, for
their own sake, a while back and am feeling stifled.

Anyway, believe it or not, I never learned lisp (other than the smallish
bits required to tweak Emacs :-)). I was always a scientific computing
weenie (I started with BASIC, then went the Fortran and C route, with
some Pascal thrown in for fun; once I discovered scripting languages, I
pretty much never went back).

It is my understanding that lisp and scheme are fairly closely
related... Would there be an advantage to learning one over the other,
given that I probably won't use either very much, but am learning more
or less for the sake of broadening my horizons a bit? In either case,
is there a standard book that one recommends when the topic comes up?

Thanks,
John

--
John Klassa / klassa@mail.com