Re: MailDAV

From: Stephen D. Williams (sdw@insta.com)
Date: Sat Mar 18 2000 - 12:03:16 PST

Jeff Bone wrote:

> The point is, despite any religion and / or ulterior motives driving particular
> IETF or other efforts, we've *got* the technology necessary to build open,
> interoperable applications of arbitrary kinds. The standardization of things at
> the *application* level should not --- and does not, except by the poor choices
> of application developers --- necessitate having new protocols for everything.
>
> The punchline to all of this is, I actually think DAV is rather an abortion.
> Ick. The more crap like that we cram into our star protocol, the less tenable
> it becomes.
>
> This kind of stuff should live above the wire, indeed, above HTTP. If all
> distributed systems can be implemented in terms of RPC, and HTTP provides a

RPC, in the sense the term is normally used, is NOT sufficient to implement all
distributed systems. Certainly not efficient and competitively scalable
distributed systems.

> *standard* and rather friendly RPC just with GET, and XML provides the
> marshalling format, then why re-invent the wheel? It's purely an ego and
> competitive game. The only good argument --- performance, etc. --- isn't too
> convincing to me these days. Simplicity and speed of implementation trumps.

For some segments of the market this is true, for others it is not.

While I believe that a good generic protocol is possible, it is going to need a lot
more than what you have suggested. In particular, it must be streaming message
based with windowing, flow control, reconnection/restart/fragmentation/partials,
will full support for pipelining and, when it makes sense, out of order processing.

Demands for near optimum data representation are also more involved. Logically,
XML, but optimized.

sdw

--
Insta.com - Revolutionary E-Business Communication
sdw@insta.com Stephen D. Williams  Senior Consultant/Architect   http://sdw.st