More Yeti@Home news

From: Gregory Alan Bolcer (gbolcer@endtech.com)
Date: Wed Mar 15 2000 - 10:24:21 PST

April's Scientific American has an article on Power to the PC. They
estimate that to date, 1.7M people have participated in the largest
computation in history. All those unused cycles floating around, I wonder
if there's any way to rent them out?

> Absolutely, says Adam L. Beberg, a 26-year-old computer scientist. Beberg and a handful of
> colleagues are cranking away on Cosm, a set of software applications, programming tools and
> protocols to commercialize distributed computing. "I'm trying to build an infrastructure where a
> company could run our software and utilize 100 percent of their resources," Beberg explains.

I'll be convinced when Stuart Little 2 gets rendered on all 25M palmtops that
are supposed to be out there in the next year or two.

Greg

[1] http://www.sciam.com/currentissue.html#articles
[2] http://www.sciam.com/2000/0400issue/0400scicit5.html

--