Re: Am I becoming a language zealot?

From: Adam L. Beberg (beberg@mithral.com)
Date: Sat Mar 11 2000 - 16:17:07 PST

On Sat, 11 Mar 2000, Joseph S. Barrera III wrote:

> The more I program in Java, the more I love it. I'm sort of scaring myself,
> really. I find myself thinking, "if/when I change jobs, it's only going to
> be to a place that uses Java, and NEVER to a place that uses C++". I know
> this isn't rational. Or at least, I've spent my entire career looking down
> at language zealots, and here I am becoming one. Is this just a stage that
> will pass? Or does it just get worse?

The Programmers Ad-Lib:
-----------------------
The more I program in ________[Language], the more I love it. I'm sort
of scaring myself, really. I find myself thinking, "if/when I change
jobs, it's only going to be to a place that uses ________[Language], and
NEVER to a place that uses C++".
-----------------------

Congratulations! You have successfully detected that C++ was a huge hack
designed by someone putting a square peg in a round hole to comply with
the buzzword of the day.

I'd much rather use any other language, even ASM rather then C++. Java
has definately lowered the difficulty of coding, allowing many more
people to write code. If this is a good thing is up for debate. Now if
any of the other promises of Java held true... but it's hot and has lots
of buzzwords.

- Adam L. Beberg
  The Cosm Project - http://cosm.mithral.com/
  beberg@mithral.com - http://www.iit.edu/~beberg/