[LA Times] Pumped up appliance or no-frills computer?

From: Adam Rifkin -4K (adam@XeNT.ics.uci.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 09 2000 - 22:22:27 PST

How many years ago was AOL hyping the "AOL PC"? Two, maybe? Well, this
year may FINALLY be the year of the Internet Appliance -- and it's
running neither Microsoft software nor AOL crapware as its operating
system...

I expect this to be the first of many. I also expect this particular
one to be a failure because they're charging people $22 a month for
Internet access. Did they learn nothing from WebTV? More importantly,
did they learn nothing from NetZero, FreeNet, AltaVista Free Internet,
and Excite @Home Free Internet?

I gotta admit, though, I liked the idea of having a "pizza button" on
the keyboard:

http://www.latimes.com/business/20000309/t000022627.html

> [...]
> with an i-opener.
>
> The biggest problem with the device is that you are locked into
> using Netpliance as your Internet service provider forever. At $21.95,
> Netpliance, which is planning a initial public stock offering next
> Thursday, charges more than most Internet service providers, but not
> much more.
>
> These types of locked-in-access deals can feel like blackmail to
> experienced Web users, but for first-timers, it can be a blessing since
> everything is preconfigured and ready for connecting.
>
> Access Fee Subsidizes Low Price of Computer
>
> The i-opener is an easy product to recommend to Web newcomers,
> while advanced Web users will gag over this machine, which was not
> designed for them anyway.
>
> But the wonderful small size of the i-opener also liberates it from
> the temple of the home office, where we computer users must crawl each
> day to worship. Its low cost and simplicity make it a pleasure to use.
>
> If Netpliance ever gave users the freedom to use a different
> Internet access provider, this little box would become an even hipper
> accessory. Unfortunately, Netpliance won't unbundle its $21.95 a month
> access fee because that's how the company makes its money. The
> connection fee subsidizes the artificially low price of the computer.
>
> For an extra $5 a month, the company will provide Internet access
> for a user's other computers, although I imagine most people who already
> have an Internet provider would be hesitant to try this.
>
> But it is only a matter of time before other companies figure out
> that small, simple and cheap is beautiful not just for basic users, but
> advanced ones as well.
>
> It has taken computer makers 20 years to realize this seemingly
> obvious point. Let's hope it doesn't take them another 20 years to
> actually start selling such a device.
>

> * * *
>
> Internet Appliance
>
> i-opener is a low-cost, no-frills computer designed strictly for
> Web surfing. Its simplicity makes it an easy choice for Web beginners
> and basic surfers. Its small size makes it an intriguing possibility for
> Web users who would like to put an extra computer in unusual spots, such
> as on a shelf in the kitchen. But customers must also pay manufacturer
> Netpliance $21.95 per month for Internet access, which makes it a much
> tougher sell to the Web-savvy who already have their own Internet
> connections on conventional PCs.
> * Price: $99 until June, then $199
> * Monthly Internet access fee: $21.95
> * Processor: Intel Pentium compatible, 180/200 MHz
> * Display: 10-inch LCD color screen, 800-by-600 resolution
> * Weight: 5 pounds
> * Memory: 32 megabytes of RAM
> * Modem: 56 kilobits per second; built-in
> * Features: Printer port (can be used only with the Canon BubbleJet
> 2000 printer), built-in speakers, built-in microphone, built-in pointing

----
Adam@4K-Associates.com

I wanna be anarchy.