Re: WorldDataNow.com

From: Adam L. Beberg (beberg@mithral.com)
Date: Thu Mar 09 2000 - 21:36:06 PST

On Thu, 9 Mar 2000, Dan Kohn wrote:

> I'd appreciate getting your comments on
> http://www.dankohn.com/itbusiness.html.

I wonder how long your window of opportunity is. OCR gets better every
day, and voice is doing the same. Better-Than-Human(tm) OCR is not far
off with the dictionary and grammer checking. IBM has some smoking
voice recognition stuff (in their labs) that makes my hearing seem bad -
which it is...

Unfortunately I see a very similar situation with many things.
Can the undeveloped world catch up at all before they are obsolete,
and can the human race?

Since I'm never gonna finish my bloody essay, here is what I have so far
http://www.iit.edu/~beberg/1000.html
definately worth the ponder even in it's unfinished form. It's
pre .../out-there.html - I'm far less optimistic now :)

> "Also, all spare "cycles" would be applied to entering Project
> Gutenberg texts, which I think is a great way to demonstrate the
> power of the approach."

As the one who made sure PG got that 8K$ from rc5-56 [insert long story
here] all i can say is "Whoohoo" :) But please stick to ASCII until
_all_ books are entered - the XML project is a "second pass" effort. The
value to humanity from paper->ASCII is far far greater then ASCII->XML.
ASCII is still more universal, and doesn't look stupid without the
latest beta of a web browser.

- Adam L. Beberg
  The Cosm Project - http://cosm.mithral.com/
  beberg@mithral.com - http://www.iit.edu/~beberg/