Re: IgnitionCorp launches -- with Steve Hooper...

From: Adam Rifkin -4K (adam@XeNT.ics.uci.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 09 2000 - 15:19:27 PST

Rohit wrote:
> Why waste ink announcing yourself if you have
> nothing exciting to actually reveal about what you're investing in?
> You're left without a hint, any hint, as to what the wireless era
> might mean to readers. And the web site ---
> http://www.ignitioncorp.com/ to the cognoscenti -- says even less.

Here's what The Industry Standard had to say about Ignition today.
"The joy of the business [rather] than the art of the deal," indeed. :)

Wow, they hit The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, The
Washington Post, and The Seattle Times, all on the same day...

> [...]
> reports, former Redmond star Brad Silverberg will be CEO of the new
> company, which will be called Ignition. For spending money, Ignition
> got $140 million in working capital from sugar daddies Qualcomm,
> Softbank Venture Capital, and Madrona Venture Group.
>
> Most reporters sleepwalked through the story, giving more play to the
> business team's pedigree than to Ignition's prospects for success.
> "These guys are the Chicago Bulls - the old Chicago Bulls," Softbank
> partner Gary Reischel chirped to the Wall Street Journal. The Seattle
> Times lobbed a softball at the area's newest hometown business.
> Ignition is more interested in "the joy of the business than the art
> of the deal," the Times let company cofounder Jon Roberts gush.
> Roberts, it should be noted, is the former general manager of Windows
> CE development for Microsoft, where, lately, there has been less joy
> in business.
>
> For critical thought on Ignition's chances, reporters handed the mike
> to analyst Zweig. "The wireless Internet is clearly going to be big,
> but there's so much vaporware out there. I'm not sure that anyone
> knows what they're doing," she told the Washington Post. The New York
> Times quoted her pointing out that the team's lack of global
> experience could be a drawback, because much of the cutting-edge work
> in wireless is being done in Western Europe. Zweig told the Journal
> that it's still too soon to handicap winners in the race for mobile
> supremacy. And remember that a unified wireless standard isn't even
> expected to be in place before 2006, she cautioned the Seattle Times.
>
> Meanwhile, the Journal reported that another Seattle-based exec is
> ditching the mainstream wireless world - just as his ship of options
> was about to come in. The Journal had the early word that Daniel
> Hesse, the president of AT&T's wireless unit, is bailing one month
> before Ma Cable sells off 20 percent of the unit in an IPO. According
> to the Journal, Hesse is swapping an estimated $50 million in options
> for an ownership stake and the top spot at TeraBeam Networks, a
> startup that beams data by air, not fiber. Now there's a move for the
> analysts. - Deborah Asbrand
>
> Microsoft and McCaw Veterans Team Up on Wireless-Net Firm
> http://interactive.wsj.com/articles/SB952555164725660551.htm
> (Paid subscription required.)
>
> Tech Executives Launch Firm to Invest in Wireless Internet
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/business/feed/a39989-2000mar9.htm
>
> New Venture Looks Beyond the PC Era
> http://www.nytimes.com/library/tech/00/03/biztech/articles/09venture.html
> (Registration required.)
>
> Tech Heavyweights Will Invest Expertise
> http://www.seattletimes.com/news/business/html98/wire_20000309.html
>
> On Eve of IPO, Hesse to Leave AT&T Wireless
> http://interactive.wsj.com/articles/SB952569617297361507.htm
> (Paid subscription required.)
>
> Report: AT&T Wireless President Heads for Start-up (Reuters)

----
Adam@4K-Associates.com

Simplicity is difficult because it requires nothing less than absolutely everything. -- T.S. Eliot