RE: How to end traffic congestion

From: Dan Kohn (dan@teledesic.com)
Date: Mon Mar 06 2000 - 13:17:01 PST

Although I appreciate a good toilet metaphor as much as the next guy,
Xander's analogy unwittingly compares an ideal best case with a realistic
worse case.

The better analogy is that you are more than welcome to use your bathroom
any time of the day (a facility approximately as vital to most of us as our
cars). However, if you use it between 7 to 10 AM or 4 to 7 PM, the door
slams shut and locks for approximately 60 minutes (longer, if there's been
an "accident"). During the time you're locked in the bathroom, you are able
to listen to the radio and talk on your cellphone, but not read or watch TV.
Now, the question is, would you pay 5 or 10 bucks to get out?

If you value your time, you would. If you don't, then you could probably be
persuaded to go another time for the right price.

Note, however, that this metaphor still misses the externality of congestion
costs, that my driving during rush hour adds costs not just to me but to
everyone else on the road. It's eliminating these externalities which makes
this solution much better than just a zero-sum-game redistribution.

Xander is right to focus on elections, because this suggestion is
fundamentally about politics, and making most of the people better off (and
more, important, FEEL better off). The critical new idea here is that you
would actually pay people cash for off-hour driving, even if they don't have
an EZ-Pass unit installed in their car. I believe that could make the
difference, and solve road congestion in a way that technology and new roads
will never be able to do.

                - dan

P.S. Also, the problem with Xander's mention of public transportation, is
that subsidizing public transport is an absurdly inefficient and ineffective
way of dealing with the core problem. It would be like to trying to deal
with the public health problems of smoking by subsidizing the price of
chewing gum, and hoping that that would get people to switch. If you don't
want people to smoke (or to drive at certain times), then raise the price.

--
Daniel Kohn <mailto:dan@dankohn.com>
tel:+1-425-602-6222  fax:+1-425-602-6223

-----Original Message----- From: Alexander Blakely [mailto:xander@speakeasy.org] Sent: Monday, 2000-02-28 21:33 To: Dan Kohn Cc: Fork (E-mail); Brad De Long (E-mail); Tren Griffin Subject: Re: How to end traffic congestion

I agree with Karl Anderson's observation that Dan is relying a bit too heavily on rationality to manipulate the often irrational behavior of American drivers. The only other way to explain it is that Americans value their time much, much lower than do most other 'civilized' people. (A conclusion for which ample evidence can be found in the record high ratings for Fox's two-hour show "Who Wants to Marry a Multi-millionaire?)

Americans look at driving as a necessity, which 50 years of auto-friendly urban planning has made effectively true. To make a somewhat crude hypothetical example, image a small country with a chronic water shortage. There is enough water for everybody, just not all at once. Now if Dan were president of this unfortunate country, he would impose a toilet toll (using variable pricing according to congestion, of course). Now matter how smoothly (pardon the imagery) the waste flowed, not matter how much the country's GNP climbed, no matter how big the tax breaks during Dan's term in office, I guarantee that Dan would not be elected to a second term. And all because of his flawlessly rational toilet toll. Having to pay $20 to use the toilet when you need to is simply an indignity the citizens of this arid country simply won't take sitting down, so to speak. "But you forget," Dan will say in his unsuccessful campaign for reelection, "some of you were paid to poop at 1 a.m. Some of you made so much money 'working' the late shift that you were able to quit your day jobs. Surely you people will vote for me."

But they won't.

The problem lies not so much in pricing, but in choices. If President Dan, instead of imposing his toilet toll, were to offer grants to encourage the development alternative technologies to minimize the use of toilets, such as colostomy bags... Okay, this example is getting out of hand. I'll switch back to traffic. If people had viable options, they would use them. Unfortunately, there are very few substitutes for the door-to-door service of the automobile (even if it takes an extra 40 minutes). And until there is, I'm afraid that congestion pricing will only moderately reduce the quantity of drivers going through the toll booths while it significantly increases the quantity of voters going through election booths to vote out those damn rational incumbents.

X...

Actually, the best way for Dan's plan to work would be to move Fox's prime time line up a few hours. Then people would surely be willing to pay $20 to get home in 20 minutes or less.