Re: A Quasi-Technical Defense of Property Rights

From: Ernest N. Prabhakar (ernest@alumni.caltech.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 01 2000 - 05:28:39 PST

on 3/1/00 1:28 AM, Dave Long at dl@silcom.com wrote:

> So basically: property rights may be good, but are not held on
> the same level as are the rights to life, liberty, or the pursuit
> of happiness.

Interesting. One could probably make a claim that in fact property rights
were one on the main impetus for -creating- governments, in that they are
pretty much non sequitors unless there's some sort of bureaucracy to
arbitrate them. I'm reminded of all those old westerns' with claim jumpers.

I do wonder, however, whether there's a distinction between that and
"propery ownership". Not as a transferable intangible right, but
"squatting" on a piece of land to have generally accepted dominion. But, as
you point out, that's largely a matter of self-defensability.

-- Ernie P.
Ernest N. Prabhakar, Ph.D.
ernest@drernie.com
http://www.alumni.caltech.edu/~ernest