Re: In Praise of Communism

From: JTS - MCDLXXXVI (jts7@duke.edu)
Date: Sun Feb 27 2000 - 15:04:48 PST

On Sun, 27 Feb 2000, Adam L. Beberg wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Feb 2000, Dug Song wrote:
> > we're only hypocrites if we let ourselves be. better to be an unwitting,
> > but righteous hypocrite, than an ironic, conscious supporter of injustice.
> I believe it's my capitalist duty (you did read your handbook didn't
> you?) not to give a rat's-back-side about anyone else. I want the
> children working in slave camps making my cheap foot coverings
> _somewhere_else_, just not in _my_ neighborhood. Nevermind they get
> marked up to insane prices once they get here - that's capitalism!
> In the end everyone gets screwed, reguardless of what you call it, god
> bless america! (you're supposed to say that too)
>
> Luckily I got an education and don't buy any of that anymore. Like every
> other time in history, eventually the slave workers get pissed off and
> burn the civilization to the ground. Rinse, lather, repeat.

God Bless America, indeed. Is it possible to understand and accept the
latter, while living the former?
        I can't say that it's better to be an unwitting anything.
Awareness is key. America has been, up to and including now, the winner
even when we lose. That's a true statement. Until someone else wins
decisively enough to remove our ability to perform the above feat (see:
Germany), or the entire shebang goes up in flames, that will be the case.
        Until then, I have no problem living in the reality of our times,
and that includes living American-style and ignoring that gawdawful racket
that dying people make coming from East Timor. If the Big Reversal comes
during my time on Earth, I hope my foreknowledge of its ineventibility
allows me to face it with some dignity.

        JTS
"There is no fate that can not be surmounted by scorn." -Camus
http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/~pwillen1/lit/msysip.htm