RE: Versatility is the watchword of the WAP phone

From: Josh Cohen (joshco@Exchange.Microsoft.com)
Date: Fri Feb 25 2000 - 12:35:23 PST

The thing that the WAP forum has done best is
not technology, but marketing.
They pretty much have all of europe beleving that
WAP can browse the web, better than your PC, faster
than your PC, can replace your PC, can do video, sound,
all the things that PCs do.

I think there will be a big deflation of the hype
when WAP phones actually are available in volume,
when people see what it really is.

Note that in the US, where people have gone "yawn"
over sprint wireless web and the like. We've seen
it and dont over hype it.

Further, in the US we have Phone.com HDML3.2+ which offers
features like push. WAP is just beginning to deploy wap1.1
which doesnt have push. The US carriers arent going
to move to the "standard" WAP until it at least has feature
parity with phone.com. (wap 1.2 is to have push)

The perception is often that we are "way behind" in mobile phone
stuff, but in some ways we are very much ahead..