Re: oh, please...

From: Stephen D. Williams (sdw@insta.com)
Date: Thu Feb 24 2000 - 11:23:18 PST

Manoj Kasichainula wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 24, 2000 at 11:16:04AM -0500, John Klassa wrote:
> > Instead, Microsoft suffered what Sohn called a ``syn-flood'' attack
> > that disrupts communication between a PC and the Web site server so
> > that the server continually sends requests asking for the visiting
> > computer's identification, devouring its processing capacity.
>
> I don't know the technical details (sigh; first step to becoming a
> manager), but aren't there already pretty effective workarounds to
> work around SYN floods? I know that I was able to enable SYN cookies
> and RST cookies to alleviate the problem more than 3 years ago.
>
> If so, what's the big deal?

Yes, Linux for instance supports SYN cookies that completely eliminates the
problem. Packets will be responded to once and then forgotten.

The other recent attacks were not SYN flood related AFAIK.

sdw

--
Insta.com - Revolutionary E-Business Communication
sdw@insta.com Stephen D. Williams  Senior Consultant/Architect   http://sdw.st