Re: Property Rights

From: Kragen Sitaker (kragen@pobox.com)
Date: Tue Feb 01 2000 - 08:35:14 PST

Jeff Bone writes:
> So there. Hopefully more evocative and defensible than my last stand on
> this issue. ;-) Fire away.

I agree with everything you said (except see below), and it expresses
well why I wouldn't want to live in a society without any property
rights. I just don't think property rights are the *only* important
rights, and I think that there are other important rights that are not
derivable from property rights.

The exceptions are that (a) big programs always had some degree of
encapsulation, at least since the 1960s; otherwise they wouldn't have
been possible; (b) I don't know what entelechy is, and the dictionary
definition ("something that actually exists, as opposed to something
that merely could exist") is not helpful in understanding how it could
be an organizing principle in nature, so I can't agree or disagree with
that. As if you cared. I just didn't want to claim to agree with
something I didn't understand. :)

> PS - those damned peasants can still stay the hell off my fallow
> pasture. ;-)

:)

The Internet stock bubble didn't burst on 1999-11-08.  Hurrah!
The power didn't go out on 2000-01-01 either.  :)