Re: [SJMN] Workers left in limbo by INS

From: Joachim Feise (jfeise@ics.uci.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 31 2000 - 18:54:17 PST

Ciamac Cyrus Moallemi wrote:

> Having gone through the green card process for people who worked for me, I
> recall a provision for people of "exceptional ability" which eliminates a
> lot of the nastier paperwork and accelerates the process down to 18 months.
> You don't quite need a Nobel Prize, either, I think evidence of achievement
> in terms of journal papers, recommendations, membership in professional
> organizations, maybe an award or two, etc. is sufficient. I would think
> this would certainly apply to Linus Torvalds.

Well, yeah, the article actually states that he used the EA provision.
However, that does not help much with the timeline anymore, since it only
cuts down on the Department of Labor times. DOL times used to be 2-3 years,
but they introduced a "fast-track" system a couple years back, which cuts
the DOL time to 3 months, at least in CA.
And this 3 months saving may be rendered irrelevant because INS tends to
scrutinize EA cases, which means the INS processing times can easily double.

-JoeF