Whither IPv6?

From: Ernest N. Prabhakar (ernest@alumni.caltech.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 25 2000 - 06:17:22 PST

Hi all,

I was just realizing that it seems like I haven't heard anything about IPv6
for a while. There was a lot of hoopla a couple years ago when it was
introduced, and all this talk (scare?) about IPv4 address scarcity. But
it all seems to have died down.

What's happened? Has NAT reduced the need for new IP addresses? Is IPv6
being overengineered, so that people are reluctant to deploy it? Or it is
quietly taking over, and I just haven't noticed yet?

Does anybody know how much IPv6 support is in Windows 2000, or the
mainstream Linux distributions?

Inquiring minds want to know...

-- Ernie P.
Ernest N. Prabhakar, Ph.D.