Re: [GEEK] NAPSter

From: Cynthia Dale (silly@redhat.com)
Date: Sat Jan 15 2000 - 21:52:50 PST

Napster is awesome. I find things there that I can't find -anywhere-
bootlegs and such. It will be hard for anyone to come down on them, even
harder than warez channels on IRC, because lots of stuff is authorized
bootleg (ie, the artists allow ppl to plug in during concerts and record,
in the tradition of Jerry Garcia and the Dead, which basically null and
voids any kind of copyright on that particular piece of recorded music, if
I remember correctly). I hope that more and more artists will realize
that if someone grabs an mp3 or two and digs them, if the person has the
means, s/he will buy the artist's music eventually. Rusted Root used to
have all their songs in mp3 form, along with the cd sleeves you can print
out, but I think they've gone to ras now. Check em out, though:
www.rustedroot.com

On Sat, 15 Jan 2000, Ian Andrew Bell wrote:

> Check these links for background:
> http://www.mp3.com/news/471.html
> http://www.napster.com
>

> Wow..
>
> This week (Thanks to IIABILL) I rediscovered NapSter... significantly
> cooler with v2.0. This is an extremely viral tool for MP3
> traders. Despite my affiliations with etunnels this has to be one of the
> most viral applications going.
>
> Want proof?
>
> Last night: 89GB of MP3 files.
> Tonight : 1141GB of MP3 files. (And I'm having trouble connecting).
>
> NapSter shares a directory on your PC with everyone else in the community
> -- you need not know who they are. The client tabulates every MP3 file in
> your shared directory and announces the list to an index server. You and
> other users can search for songs and download them from each other.
>
> It's simple but brilliant. Imagine a world where the "Most Searched
> Artists" chart on NapSter is a more significant metric of an artist's
> popularity than the Billboard Hot 100 charts.
>
> This has got the RIAA utterly FREAKING out -- it functionally kills the CD
> distribution model, the charts, everything. But NapSter can claim they're
> not pirating -- they never even store any files! :)
>
> -Ian.

Cynthia J. Dale
Technical Engineer/FAQ maintainer
Red Hat, Inc.