Commercial Open Source

From: Gregory Alan Bolcer (gbolcer@endTECH.com)
Date: Fri Jan 14 2000 - 07:51:18 PST

COTS is commercial off-the-shelf, ROTS is research off-the-shelf,
now we have a COS model. This is from December 15th, but I went
back to re-read all the Covalent press to figure out exactly what they're
planning. Their answer to everything is "you'll see". Does anyone
really see them shrink wrapping Apache servers plus commercial plugins?

A couple of interesting things, I hadn't realized there was a backlash against
RHAT from the open source community. Can anyone confirm that or is
this just some Forbes fiction? Second is APOs.

  "Who knows, maybe Covalent will lead the next wave of hot IPOs, or
   should we say the APOs--Apache Public Offerings.

(shouldn't that sentence have a question mark after 'knows' or at the end?)
Chase H&Q/H&Q Venture Partners feels Covalent is well poised to be the
central source for Apache Web server solutions across all operating systems.
Does that mean they are going to be building solutions now?

Finally, I am wondering if this means a cosolidation in the Web server market.
My bet's on Zeus being the first to get bought. [2] Interesting enough
they don't list JavaWebServer, Websphere, and the Python Web server, but
they list iPlanet.

Greg

[1] http://www.forbes.com/tool/html/99/Dec/1215/mu8.htm
[2] http://serverwatch.internet.com/webserver-apache.html