RE: AOL to merge with Time Warner...

From: Philip Desautels (philip@ibelay.com)
Date: Mon Jan 10 2000 - 08:24:00 PST

You Said:
>Everyone thought AOL's stock was in a bubble, right? Well, talk about
>a creative way to "grow" into one's market cap: buy another major media
>company. I gotta admit, I didn't see this one coming...
>http://cbs.marketwatch.com/archive/20000110/news/current/twx.htx

What seems to be missing from the public press is the fact that AOL now gets
access to half of the high-speed cable market via RoadRunner. This just
firms up their dominant distribution position...

The merger is only natural, isn't it? AOL had the home subscribers on the
end of slow pipes. TW has tons of content and rights to fast pipes (with
nothing to deliver on them). AOL bought NetChannel - the people who created
the short-lived RCA TV-Top NC box, so they understand TV interfaces. The
drive forward is obvious. Move TW content to Internet subscribers, and turn
TV sets into AOL portals. (Reuse the old AOL interface????).

The question is who is next?

Philip