Re: Excellent commentary on DVD 'piracy' issues

From: Dave Long (dl@silcom.com)
Date: Fri Jan 07 2000 - 10:38:56 PST

Th' Dead did pretty well by *encouraging* replication and
distribution of their performances. (What was their relationship
with vendors? I'd imagine they had the same attitude as to the
tapers.)

I suppose the difference is that a pop song doesn't have depth
beyond its 3 minutes of audio, whereas a Dead show was much, much,
more than that. Does having the ability to create "cultural property"
mean that one doesn't have to stoop to grabbing after incidental bits?

(Disney must be a counterexample: they have created a great deal of
cultural property, both de novo and by consumerizing existing
culture*, yet they likely remain as litigious as Ralph Lauren)

-Dave

* Since the brothers Grimm had already done a certain amount of
bowdlerization for their audience, we might imagine a trend towards
the homeopathic in commercializing folk tales...