Is FreeDSL.com a Ponzi scheme?

From: Adam Rifkin -4K (adam@XeNT.ics.uci.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 06 2000 - 13:18:14 PST

One FoRKer recently got me interested in DSL investments, and I found
this writeup from http://www.optioninvestor.com/ .

The line that caught my eye was:

> Though it won't be launched until April 1, customers can start
> signing up for the service Wednesday by logging onto
> FreeDSL.com. To receive a FreeDSL modem, users must also refer
> at least 10 people, who must sign up for the service.

Isn't this a pyramid scheme? How can they possibly expect this to work?
Sure enough, we find the line in http://www.freedsl.com/rules_modem.asp :

> You must also obtain ten qualifying referrals, as explained hereunder,
> to obtain a free modem from BDG.

As far as Due Diligence goes, I'm surprised the article below doesn't
mention Broadcom, which (among other things) makes chips for DSL modems.
Nor is there mention of Redback, a DSL services and equipment company:
http://www.tsrec.com/broadbandbox.html

> [...]

> Covad Communications. Goldman Sachs said Tuesday it raised
> Covad shares to its "recommended" list from "market
> outperformer."

> Gruntal & Co. also upgraded Covad, which was included Monday on
> "Standard & Poor's PowerPicks 2000," a widely followed index of
> stocks that 29 S&P analysts expect to be the best picks for the
> year.

> In September, Covad set a highly ambitious goal to offer DSL
> service in 100 top U.S. cities by 2001, reaching 40 percent of
> all domestic homes and businesses. Next year, the company will
> launch a $50 million ad campaign to help it meet its goal and
> establish brand-name status.

> In the most recent quarter, Covad's total subscriber lines shot
> up to 31,000 from 16,700 in the previous quarter, an 86 percent
> increase.

> Local phone companies, which are expected to ramp up their DSL
> offering this year, are another play on the service area,
> including SBC Communications (SBC), US West (USW), Bell South (BLS)
> and Bell Atlantic (BEL).

> But because data transfer makes up less than 11 percent of the
> Bells' revenue, their share prices may not reflect rising DSL
> sales. This could change, analysts say, as the market for
> expanded services picks up, allowing telcos to issue tracking
> stocks that highlight DSL revenues.

> Citing accelerating sales driven by data, Internet and wireless
> demand, Credit Suisse First Boston started coverage Wednesday
> on U.S. telecom companies. Analysts rated Bell Atlantic a
> "strong buy," setting a 12- to 18-month price target of $102.
> Bell South was rated a "buy," with a $65 price target. SBC
> Communications also earned a "buy" recommendation, with a $74
> price objective.

> In a surprising move, The Broadband Digital Group, run by the
> same people who started online ad firms AdForce and AdSmart,
> announced Tuesday it would provide consumers with free DSL
> service.

> Though it won't be launched until April 1, customers can start
> signing up for the service Wednesday by logging onto
> FreeDSL.com. To receive a FreeDSL modem, users must also refer
> at least 10 people, who must sign up for the service.

> Free dial-up Internet Service Providers made strong advances
> this year, but analysts don't expect FreeDSL to make a dent in
> the market. Some even doubt that the company can make good on
> its promise.

> "The market is supply-constrained right now," said Mike Wolf,
> an industry analyst with Cahners In-Stat Group, according to
> CNBC.com. "I think people are already signing up as fast as
> providers can roll the services out."

> Other experts also discount the free service, noting that while
> free ISP service is available, most people haven't cancelled
> their ISP subscriptions.

> Although the future of free DSL service is in doubt, investors
> can be sure that one way or another, high-speed Internet access

----
Adam@4K-Associates.com

.sig double play

You might be a redneck if you think the stock market has a fence around it. -- Jeff Foxworthy

To use certain functions of the [zBubbles] Service (such as to post a Recommendation), you must register with the Service and provide your email address, a password and a nickname. In connection with your use of the Service, we collect web site usage data and traffic pattern data with respect to your activity both within and across web sites - all of which remains anonymous. We will never associate any of your personally identifiable information with the data we collect from your usage of the Service. We are also able to determine whether you have posted Recommendations using the Service. Please note that the collection of the foregoing data continues so long as the Software remains installed on your computer. You must uninstall the Software in order to stop the collection of such data. Please see the zBubbles Privacy Policy for more information. -- http://zbubbles.amazon.com/terms.html