DAVID J. FARBER NAMED FCC CHIEF TECHNOLOGIST

From: Rohit Khare (rohit@uci.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 03 2000 - 08:25:13 PST

[Can anyone say "special master"? :-) I suspect Dave's excellent
adventure will be a mixed one... Rohit]

==============================
[ I will be at the FCC as an IPA -- a US government mechanism which
allows me to serve the country while remaining a Penn Faculty member.
I look forward to returning to Penn in a year or so with a great
deal of experience and knowledge regarding the policy and economic
issues involved in deploying the new communications technologies.
djf]

For Immediate Release News Media contact:
January 3, 2000 Rosemary
Kimball at (202) 418-0500

DAVID J. FARBER NAMED FCC CHIEF TECHNOLOGIST

Washington, DC David J. Farber, currently the Alfred Fitler Moore
Professor of Telecommunication Systems at the University of
Pennsylvania, has been named Chief Technologist for the Federal
Communications Commission (FCC).

William E. Kennard, chairman of the FCC, welcomed Farber noting, "The
FCC, and, indeed, the entire country, are very fortunate to have the
services of such a distinguished, world-class technology expert as
Dave Farber at this time, as the FCC continues to tackle the
complicated and increasingly technical issues involved in ensuring
universal broadband access."

Farber holds appointments in the Computer and Information Science and
Electrical Engineering Departments in the School of Engineering and
Applied Science at Penn. He is Director of both the Center for
Communications & Information Science & Policy and the Distributed
Systems Laboratory, where he is leading research in ultra-high speed
networking, the design of innovative distributed computer
architecture, and distributed collaboration methodology.

He was previously with the University of Delaware, the University of
California in Irvine, Scientific Data Systems, the Rand Corporation,
and the Bell Telephone Laboratories.

Farber is a Fellow of the IEEE and is the holder of the 1995 SIGCOMM
Award for lifelong contributions to the field. In 1998 he received
the John Scott Award for contributions to Humanity. Earlier
recipients have included Albert Einstein, G. Marconi, Madam Curie,
the Wright brothers, and Thomas Edison.

==============
Markoff's coverage for the NY Times quoth:

"There is a struggle for radio spectrum," he said, "and that is one
of the issues we will have to grapple with." Another focus will be
the convergence of communications and computing technologies and the
infusion of Internet technology into the nation's communications
system.

One of the first to understand and speak out on the social, political
and economic implications of the Internet, Mr. Farber has maintained
a quirky sense of independence from many of the bureaucratic
positions of both large high technology companies and governments.

For a time recently, his e-mail carried the following tag line,
alluding to the movement of electronic information: "Photons have
neither morals or visas."