RE: Java source released

Robert S. Thau (rst@ai.mit.edu)
Thu, 25 Feb 1999 11:48:47 -0500 (EST)

Mark Kuharich writes:
> GPL purists say the SCSL doesn't go far enough. If you sell a Java product,
> you'll have to pay Sun on the back end. A razorblades strategy. Also, if you
> donate bug fixes, there is no guarantee that your fix will be redistributed
> to the world. Regardless, it's a step in the right direction and a heck of a
> lot better than anything Microsoft has

The "usual" license flamewar in the free software community is GPL
vs. BSD-license (or BSD-ish license, depending on who you're talking
to), but I think the BSD(ish)-license partisans would be as much put
out by these SCSL terms than the GPL party. So I'm not sure why
you're putting this solely on "GPL purists".

rst