Slate goes back to free...

Rohit Khare (rohit@fdr.ICS.uci.edu)
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 08:56:57 -0800

I have to say, the "print" edition was the best part of my
membership. Once they closed their doors, the content remained just as
good as ever, but the real reason Slate trumped all of my other zine
diet (well, Salon's declining quality and navigability had a lot to do
with it, but bear with me here, I'm trying to make a counterintuitive
point) was its weekly... Word file.

Yes, Web technology aside, what I found myself doing was fetching the
weekly slate file as a 50+ page Word file, switching to Online/Outline
view and reading it on my laptop in the oddest (offline) places... and
frankly, linear delivery for an assiduous bit-junkie like me was
surprisingly more useful than even a cached Web copy.

It's been a good adventure. And, the Slate Umbrella is finally getting
some use -- it's been sitting in the California sun almost since I got
it, but it's finally rainy now -- so lo, and behold! A Microsoft
product without holes :-)

Rohit

PS. Of course, everyone DOES realize that "Today's Papers" is worth
the $20 alone... right?

PPS. Gotta love the X-ProspectID header -- I wonder if they could
tatoo all outgoing M$mail to track leakers this way :-)