Re: cooking celery

Kieron Lawson (kieron@developments.co.nz)
Tue, 09 Feb 1999 19:02:22 +1300

"Joseph S. Barrera III" wrote:

> http://www.anandtech.com/html/review_display.cfm?document=892
>
> Beyond all that, I have this pathological need to *know*, rather than just
> *hear*. Several large vendors, as well as a good size number of individuals
> contacted me and told me that these new retails were doing the 450 Tango
> just fine. This is all well and good, but without actually touching,
> testing, feeling, stroking... HeHe.
>
> On the other hand, I heard from a very trustworthy smaller vendor that these
> chips were not doing well on his bench. This is a guy that I *absolutely*
> believe, so hopefully he just got his hands on a bad batch. He did, however,
> tell me that he's two for two with the 366A at 550Mhz, *default voltage*.
> HMM...
Having looked at this closely in the past two weeks, and expressing the
same disbelief symptoms that you did, I made some enquiries with my
local techies (techies being an over-general term for people who play
with PC hardware for a living). I nearly went ahead and touched, tested,
felt and stroked one for myself, but pulled out at the last minute for
fear of destabilising my development environment. Plus, I really *need*
a Linux box, whereas I merely wanted one of these.

In summary:
1. The Abit BH6 is by far the best motherboard for overclocking, with
the highest success rate bar none.
2. Not all Celeron 300As are created equal - different batches yield
different success rates, with one batch in particular yielding over 80%
success at running at 450MHz. However, I've had differing reports on
the serial numbers for this batch.
3. One techie stated that once you overclock a CPU, it won't ever run at
its rated speed again. Part of the process is a burn-in, but I find
this hard to believe.
3. No one could answer my queries about long term reliability. I wonder
how the PC vendors (and Intel) are going to cover the warranties in six
months time for all the blown Celeron 300A CPUs.

You might want to visit http://www.bxboards.com for more info on
overclocking.

Kieron Lawson, Database Developments Ltd
kieron@developments.co.nz