Re: Mailing Lists

Roy T. Fielding (fielding@kiwi.ICS.uci.edu)
Thu, 26 Feb 1998 19:08:04 -0800

>The other thing that I've noticed is people's total lack of any form of
>humor. Maybe it's just me and the fact that I grew up watching Monty Python
>and lived in England. If you write something (and for all intents say
>something) if it isn't Jim Carrey in your face jokes or stupid little <G>
>people don't get it. Name one comic working today that offers a subtle
>intelligent humor?

Steven Wright.

>For that matter while I'm venting here, name one artist. One fine artist.

My older brother, Dave. They are around, but there are few opportunities
for a real artist to get noticed (and, for the most part, a real artist
rarely goes out of their way to get noticed).

.....Roy

p.s. I try to specialize in the kind of humor that makes a person
laugh in spite of themselves, with the unfortunate side effect
that I'm usually in big trouble if they don't laugh.

p.p.s. I consider good spelling/writing style on mailing lists to be
an indication of how hard the author is willing to work in order
to make it easier for others to read what they have written.
In other words, it is a courtesy.

p.p.p.s. Of course, some people's writing sucks even when they get
the style and spelling right.