Re: Patent pending: Network-based classified information

Joseph M. Reagle Jr. (reagle@w3.org)
Tue, 24 Feb 1998 16:56:24 -0500

Kind of interesting discussion.

Forwarded Text ----
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 16:51:53 -0500
To: w3t-talk@w3.org
From: "Joseph M. Reagle Jr." <reagle@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Patent pending: Network-based classified information systems.
(fwd)
Cc: Dudley Mills <dudmills@ozemail.com.au>

I thought I would offer a quick opinion on this topic along side the other
very good points.

The Business Case:

Localized information services are a "big thing." When I was consulting in
NYC in '96, we were hot to trot on this, and such services as "Seattle
Sidewalks" were expected to be uncharacteristically popular and profitable
sites.

Street Guide: (article starting with Zagat regarding city guides.)
http://www.wired.com/wired/1.2/departments/street.cred.html

I know I read a better/complete story on this phenomena on this somewhere,
but can't find it on the Web.

Meta-data:

Though I can't get through to the URL Dudley provides, he is essentially
trying to patent a DTD (in SGML/XML lingo), schema (RDF), or rating system
(PICS). I gave some thought to protecting PICS labels and schemas in an RSAC
case study I did at Sloan a few years ago.

http://web.mit.edu/reagle/www/commerce/singles/rsac7.html#Heading22

I dismissed the patenting of a rating system because I did not feel it
would be novel or unique, but Dudley has shown evidence to the contrary.
(That SGML tag patents have in fact been granted by the US office.) In PICS
land, the technical solution was partly the use of signed labels, and the
fact that systems are referenced by a URI, which the schema/service owners
control and could put trademarks in.

As we've talked about at the W3C, building schemas is going to be a very
cool business in the upcoming years, and I expect to see a lot of legal
contention on the topic. A cool VC idea would be to develop a XML/DTD, and
RDF schema consultancy shop with a nasty legal litigation group on the side.
<smile>

Legal Issues:

I haven't a clue as to whether or how "schemas" will be protected as IP in
the future. A question I've asked, but never received an adequate answer to
is exactly how does the MPAA protect its schema (G, PG, PG-14, R, NR)? Do
large movies have to licence or pay a fee to the MPAA to receive a rating.
If they refused to pay, could they rate it themselves without including the
MPAA trademark terms or fanciful logos and get away with it? I'll ask Jack
Valenti next time I see him. <smile>

I guess the closest thing to a "schema," which is what people should be
thinking about, is a data-base structure, and this does seem to fall under
patent grants and rulings. However, many, many things will be able to be
represented in schema and I wonder whether patents are really the right
legal instrument for the future.

End Forwarded Text ----

Joseph Reagle Jr. W3C: http://www.w3.org/People/Reagle/
Policy Analyst Personal: http://web.mit.edu/reagle/www/