(Fwd) FW: Why Email is Like a Penis

Joseph M. Reagle Jr. (reagle@rpcp.mit.edu)
Tue, 17 Feb 1998 14:06:33 -0500

This is sufficiently funny/clever enough to be old bits with high
probability, but even at 95% its worth risking sending it to you at least.
(you can forward it on then if you want.)

Forwarded Text ----
From: x
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 13:57:00 -0500
Subject: (Fwd) FW: Why Email is Like a Penis

Leave it to the Chick Network to pass on something like this.

Good laugh!

---------------------- Forwarded by Madeleine Jarolimek/DBW on 02/11/98
13:56 ---------------------------

> "Why Email is Like a Penis"
>
> Some folks have it, some don't. Those who have it would
> be devastated if it were ever cut off.
>
> They think that those who don't have it are somehow
> inferior. They think it gives them power.
>
> They are wrong. Those who don't have it may agree that
> it's a nifty toy, but think it's not worth the fuss
> that those who do have it make about it. Still, many
> of those who don't have it would like to try it.
>
> It can be up or down. It's more fun when it's up, but
> it makes it hard to get any real work done.
>
> In the long distant past, its only purpose was to transmit
> information considered vital to the survival of the
> species. Some people still think that's the only thing
> it should be used for, but most folks today use it for
> fun most of the time.
>
> Once you've started playing with it, it's hard to stop.
> Some people would just play with it all day if they
> didn't have work to do.
>
> It provides a way to interact with other people. Some
> people take this interaction very seriously, others
> treat it as a lark. Sometimes it's hard to tell what
> kind of person you're dealing with until it's too late.
>
> If you don't apply the appropriate protective measures,
> it can spread viruses.
>
> It has no brain of its own. Instead it uses yours. If
> you use it too much, you'll find it becomes more and
> more difficult to think coherently.
>
> We attach an importance to it that is far greater than
> its actual size and influence warrant.
>
> If you're not careful with what you do with it, it can get
> you in big trouble.
>
> It has its own agenda. Somehow, no matter how good your
> intentions, it will warp your behavior.
>
> Later you may ask yourself, "Why on earth did I do that?"
>
> It has no conscience and no memory. Left to its own
> devices, it will just do the same damn dumb things it
> did before.

End Forwarded Text ----

Regards, http://web.mit.edu/reagle/www/home.html
Joseph Reagle E0 D5 B2 05 B6 12 DA 65 BE 4D E3 C1 6A 66 25 4E
reagle@mit.edu independent research account