Re: Tonight's Death Match: "Objective Heresy" vs. "Church of Objectology."

Paul Evitts (evitts@inforamp.net)
Fri, 13 Feb 1998 22:26:06 -0800

As a quasi sometime lurker with a pedigree in consulting with the unwashed,
I feel a need to at least add a non-technical perspective on Doug's haunting
question.

"Objects" have acquired a cultural connotation in the mainstream systems
culture, partly because they DO require a new way of thinking among people
who typically regard themselves as part of an elite (see Reich's book 'The
Work Of Nations' for a hilarious introduction to this bizarre mindset) and
therefore resist any kind of change (think of acronyms like NIH and NIMBY).
And, partly, because the IDEA of Objects represents the leading edge in a
culture where dumbing down and getting-the-job-done amounts to a philosophy.

The Church of Objectology notwithstanding, currently a real appreciation of
'objects' requires an openness to 'aaha' experiences and (more directly) an
interest in (e.g.) Turing machines, Von Neumann architectures etc (not to
mention an obsession with personalized metaphoric nomenclature... as opposed
to acronyms).

XML seems to be the kind of break-thru mental framework that will allow
everyone else into the emerging world of distributed objects without undue
intellectual struggle... the short-term victory (once again) of syntax over
semantics.

However, the DO and OO obsession with personalized metaphoric nomenclature
and humanized mental models (patterns.... 'trust' and risk.... the whole
agent thing?) suggests that there is a shift happening within the community
of real OO types, and that Doug's 'machine' metaphor may represent (excuse
an old hippy) part of the problem, not part of the solution.