Re: devSEARCH, an engine for geeks

Rohit Khare (rohit@bordeaux.ICS.uci.edu)
Wed, 11 Feb 1998 13:17:23 -0800

Au contraire, mon fielding --

> >http://www.devsearch.com/
> >
> >Unfortunately, it's not quite a meta-site index which returns hits from
> >all 21 geek sites; you have to pick one from a popup. Soon, though, I
> >hope.

I got a note from Glenn Davis suggestig that I hadn't tried the megaSearch
service, which does hit multiple sites you tick off. [see below]

[I must say, Glenn is either a closet FoRKwatcher or a very fast egosurfer :-)]

> Feh! It's the second worthless site this week (after www.ual.com).

Now, now, even ual.com has its upsides. Sure, it's a technologically top-heavy
piece of framed JavaCrypted crap -- it *consistently* crashes netscape -- they
do have e-fares now, so the weekend getaway fares are worth it. And, they're
giving away 1,000 bonus miles for online tix...

[Although not as dramatic as, say Northwest, which is offering $549 weekend
fares from Baltimore and Boston and Dallas and Detroit and Minneaoplis and New
York and Philadelphia and DC to Beijing, Shanghai, and Hong Kong.]

> Your query "Fielding" matched 0 documents. 0 documents retrieved.

megaSEARCH yielded 145 hits. Including a ref to CSS2 WD -- what are you doing
there??

> >The search results screen is really well-designed and visually
> >appealing, by the way.
>
> Ummm, is that a code phrase for "it sucks"?

Nah, it's a code word for reasonable. It still has some bugs, like an extra
two inches of whitespace inside a result, and it's not an "instant surfboard"
like ibm.com's.

Now, monsieur bolcer, as for your outlandish claims:

> But of course, I also searched MS Sitebuilder and it listed
> myself as "WWW Security Maven", "HTTP/1.1 Author", and
> "WebDAV Chair". It's good to be the king.
>
> Greg

The only Web security maven known to AltaVista is moi. You can be the king of
FoRK -- after all, who can hold a candle to Tim! -- but you'll have a hard
time masquerading as Roy, Jim, and Rohit all at once (at elast now tihout a
very, very good, tanning foundation :-)

Rohit